Hey, water! I know you! You're all around.
Join a young girl as she explores her surroundings and sees that water is everywhere. But water doesn't always look the same, it doesn't always feel the same, and it shows up in lots of different shapes. Water can be a lake, it can be steam, it can be a tear, or it can even be a snowman.
As the girl discovers water in nature, in weather, in her home, and even inside her own body, water comes to life, and kids will find excitement and joy in water and its many forms.
Hey, Water! is an engaging, aesthetically pleasing nonfiction picture book, complete with accessible backmatter on the water cycle, water conservation, and more.
“Portis' latest picture book is a joyful, lyrical celebration of water…An energetic and literary introduction to water science.”
“This simple introduction to water is an ideal read-aloud for the youngest scientists. Bold, beautiful, and equally simple illustrations are rendered with brush, sumi ink, and digital color.”
—School Library Journal, starred review
“A girl named Zoe explores water in this playful and informative book.”
—Horn Book, starred review
“The same element can exist in several different forms, the words imply—our senses don’t always tell us the truth about identity.”
“…thought-provoking for youngsters just learning about earth science and conservation.”
—Bulletin for the Center for Children’s Books
• 2020 ALSC Robert F. Sibert Honor book
• A 2020 American Library Assn. Notable Book
• New York Public Library, Best Books for Kids 2019
• Chicago Public Library, Best Informational Books for Younger Readers of 2019
• A 2020 Bank Street Coll. of Education Best Children's Book of the Year
• Nerdy Book Club, 2019 Nerdy Award for non-fiction picture book
• A Mighty Girl’s 2019 Books of the Year
• Denver Public Library Best & Brightest Children’s Nonfiction of 2019
• Art from this book was included in the Society of Illustrators Original Art exhibit, 2019
UK, France, Korea, China